Thesesurvey results complement the findings of a larger October 2013Tufin-commissioned survey in which 71% of more than 500 senior IT professionals found themselves having to adopt new processes, learn new technologies and interact with new people because of these same trends. TheCisco Live! attendeeresponses pointed toadditional problems being caused by the intense pace of change, highlighting several opportunities to improve Security Operations:
• Almost 90%felt that organizations rely too heavily on network security products and tools at the expense of good network architecture and design in order to deliver the optimum level of network security.
• Almost 40% reported that the biggest barrier to effective network security is network complexity while25% cited a lack of collaboration and another 20% cited the constant change occurring in today's networks as their biggest barriers.
• With this being the case, it comes as no surprise thatabout 89% of the respondents reported that between 20-60% of security policy changes in their organization need to be corrected after the fact.
• Another one-sixth reported that as much as60-80% of their organizations' security policy changes need to be redone.
"As previous surveys have confirmed, the role of security within Operations is expanding in order to deal with the network security challenges brought on by the cloud and virtualization," said Ruvi Kitov, Tufin CEO. "Thisleads to more and deeper collaboration with other IT groupsin order to integrate and automate security into areas such as network design, change processes and operational performance. Our customers tell us this is the best way to ensure next generation networks are efficient, agile and equipped to deal with next generation security concerns. We agree and believe intelligent change and process automation will become standardsas virtualization and the cloud become more pervasive."
Survey respondentsalso made it emphatically clear thatthe threat landscape itself is changingjust as quickly as corporate networks. When asked to name the three developments that will most greatly impact security operations over the next 12-18 months, advanced threats were the number one answer, nosing ahead of virtualization (number two) and the transition of mission critical enterprise apps to the cloud (number three).
However, the survey revealed that Security Operations teams are rising to the challenge. More than three-quarters believed their networks were more secure (55%) or just as secure (22%) than they were five years ago. Plus security teams identifiedthat automation would positively affect the accuracy of policy changes (33%), the lack of consistent processes across departments (25%), and the lack of network control(20%). This underscored the need for a complete automation suite designed to handle these issues with features such as topology mapping and one-click repair.
"It is clear that virtualization and the cloud deliver great benefits but also introduce greater complexity and unforeseen risks that must be addressed," said Kitov. "Our customers know that automation is necessary to properly safeguard today's networks and support the needs of the business. Tufin continues to add capabilities to our product suite to providethebest-of breed automation and orchestration solutions needed to deliver the efficiency, agility and collaboration required for their ongoing success."
About Tufin Technologies
Tufin® is the leader in Security Policy Orchestration, automating and accelerating network infrastructure changes while maintaining security and compliance. By improving network change processes, organizations using the Tufin Orchestration Suite&trade will have a positive impact on the business by reducing the time and cost spent implementing network changes by up to 80 %. Taking a holistic view of IT, the Tufin Orchestration Suite helps organizations automate security and efficiency into day-to-day operations, enabling them to be more agile and leverage technology to gain a competitive advantage. Founded in 2005, Tufin serves more than 1,300 customers in industries from telecom and financial services to energy, transportation and pharmaceuticals. Tufin partners with leading vendors including Check Point, Cisco, Juniper Networks, Palo Alto Networks, Fortinet, F5, Stonesoft, Blue Coat, McAfee and BMC Software, and is known for technological innovation and dedicated customer service.
For more information visit www.tufin.com, or follow Tufin on:
• Twitter: http://twitter.com/TufinTech
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Tufintech
• LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/companies/tufin-technologies
• BrightTalk: https://www.brighttalk.com/community/it-security/channel/9591
• YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Tufintech
• The Tufin Blog: http://www.tufin.com/blog