Fortinet is also announcing new and improved functionalities for its FortiOS 4.0 operating system with a new maintenance release (FortiOS 4.0 MR1), which powers all FortiGate devices. Among the dozens of enhancements in this new release, FortiOS 4.0 MR1 will add antivirus scanning and URL filtering for IPv6 traffic, optimized log data to reduce network storage consumption by 50 percent, policy-based granular endpoint control for FortiClient- capable endpoints, and enhanced data loss prevention (DLP) capabilities.
Mid-sized enterprises have the same fundamental security challenges as high-end enterprise organizations, including higher network throughput, increased port density to enable greater network segmentation, and sophisticated security control. This allows customers to segment dozens of LANs within their larger network, each with its own set of security policies and performance requirements. The combination of these attributes is integrated into a single FortiGate-1240B multi-threat security appliance, which now has even greater functionality due to the new FortiOS 4.0 MR1 enhancements.
"Our product strategy is to deliver the highest benefit that technology has to offer at the best possible performance and price, whether for networks of several hundred or several thousand," said Michael Xie, CTO and co-founder, Fortinet. "Cybercriminals target small and mid-sized enterprises just as they do the largest, so we've applied the same high-technology philosophy to our mid-enterprise products as we have our highest enterprise products, which give customers the most effective line of defense for their individual networks."
Underscoring a Successful Strategy Similar to the first two members of the Fortinet mid-enterprise family, the new FortiGate-1240B appliance gives customers the security, performance and flexibility that were previously only available to high-enterprise customers at a fraction of the cost. Among similar products in the high-end mid-enterprise segment, the FortiGate-1240B product shows orders of magnitude advantage in firewall/IPSec performance, achieved through high port density that is accelerated with Fortinet's newest generation of network (NP4) and content (CP6) FortiASIC processors. The FortiGate-1240B appliance offers the following leadership metrics when compared with other multi-threat security appliances in its class:
* Highest firewall/IPSec performance with 40 Gbps and 16 Gbps performance, respectively; * Highest Gigabit Ethernet port density at 40 GbE ports, 38 of which are ASIC-accelerated; closest competitor offers 10 total ports; * Firewall inspection of up to 2 million concurrent sessions, nearly doubling that of competitors; * Six storage module slots enabling up to 384 gigabytes of storage, more than doubling storage capacity of competitive products; ideal for new services included in FortiOS 4.0 such as WAN optimization or storing reporting data for compliance purposes.
With enhancements to FortiOS 4.0, FortiGate-1240B customers will also see the following new functionalities:
* IPv6 support: Adds support for antivirus scanning and URL filtering of IPv6 traffic. Many security vendors are still lagging in supporting the new IP protocol, which is being adopted first by the federal segment in the U.S., the carrier segment globally, as well as for core networking in Japan.
* Log Optimization/Reduction: Log optimization reduces the amount of information generated by up to 50 percent, effectively reducing by half the amount of information transmitted across the network, as well as the amount required to be stored and maintained for security analysis and assisting with policy compliance.
* Endpoint Network Access Control (NAC): As part of the FortiGuard' subscription service, a FortiGate platform can monitor the applications being installed on FortiClient-managed endpoints. FortiGate can block access to users that run or install violating applications, ensuring policy compliance against unauthorized applications.
* Improvements in Data Loss Prevention: Improved ability to detect data loss where international character sets are used.
The FortiGate-1240B and FortiOS 4.0 MR1 are both available now. Fortinet is providing FortiOS 4.0 MR1 as a no-cost upgrade to customers with valid maintenance contracts.
Additional information on the FortiGate-1240B can be found at http://www.fortinet.com/products/fortigate/1240B.html. Details about new enhancements to FortiOS 4.0 MR1 are available at http://www.fortinet.com/products/fortiOS.
*Based on publicly available data
About Fortinet (www.fortinet.com) Fortinet is a leading provider of network security appliances and the market leader in Unified Threat Management or UTM. Fortinet solutions were built from the ground up to integrate multiple levels of security protection -- including firewall, VPN, antivirus, intrusion prevention, Web filtering, spyware prevention and antispam -- designed to help customers protect against network and content level threats. Leveraging a custom ASIC and unified interface, Fortinet solutions offer advanced security functionality that scales from remote office to chassis-based solutions with integrated management and reporting. Fortinet solutions have won multiple awards around the world and are the only security products that are certified in five programs by ICSA Labs: Firewall, Antivirus, IPSec VPN, Network IPS and Antispam. Fortinet is based in Sunnyvale, California.