November 18, 2008 " Check Point Software Technologies Ltd., the worldwide leader in securing the Internet, today announced a firmware upgrade for its UTM-1 Edge' appliances, providing branch offices with greater protection, expanded connectivity options and streamlined management.
Check Point UTM-1 Edge appliances combine the industry's most-proven firewall, remote access, new messaging security, Web filtering and Network Access Control (NAC) into an all-inclusive, centrally managed, security solution. New Total Security models combine one year of update services for SmartDefense' intrusion prevention, gateway antivirus, messaging security and Web filtering in an all-inclusive, turnkey solution.
"The size of an office doesn't make it immune from attacks. Smaller branch offices face the same types of threats large headquarters are up against," said Dr. Dorit Dor, vice president of products at Check Point. "Check Point UTM-1 Edge appliances provide customers a proven, comprehensive security solution with new messaging security that is simple to use and easily managed from a central location."
"Check Point's latest UTM appliances provide our clients with an effective, user-friendly security solution," said Ted Serreyn, chief executive officer at Serreyn Network Services, LLC. "Our clients appreciate the ability to centrally manage their security in a way that not only protects their infrastructure but also saves money. Check Point UTM-1 Edge appliances have been an extremely reliable solution for our customers."
New features and benefits for the latest release of Check Point UTM-1 Edge appliances include:
- New Messaging Security with inline Anti-Spam based on the latest detection technology blocks more than 98% of email-based spam with three layers of protection providing a low false positive rate and enabling rapid response to new spam and phishing outbreaks
- Built-in EAP (Extended Authentication Protocol) authenticator enables WPA Enterprise and 802.1x access control without an external RADIUS authentication server
- Improved connectivity for legacy systems with built-in terminal server functionality that can network-enable just about any device attached to the appliance in minutes
- New SmartDefense protections for SCADA equipment that includes security for Modbus/TCP connections, content scanning, Modbus/TCP compliance enforcement and request limits to a specified set of functions, devices and registers
- Improved management and monitoring functionality, including: a new Network Interface Monitor; an enhanced Policy Editor for firewall, Web, NAT, Antivirus and anti-spam rules; a new Status Monitor for device information and resource utilization; and an improved log viewer
These new features are delivered as a firmware upgrade to the Embedded NGX operating environment, which incorporates Check Point's market-leading security technology into software optimized for embedded platforms. The new firmware upgrade is also available for Check Point [email protected]
appliances, integrated security appliances designed for small businesses.
Customers can choose between Check Point UTM-1 Edge and UTM-1 Edge Industrial appliances. UTM-1 Edge appliances are available in both wired and wireless models, including an option for an integrated, high-speed ADSL modem. UTM-1 Edge Industrial appliances are specifically designed to protect Industrial Ethernet environments and supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) equipment. More information on Check Point UTM-1 Edge and UTM-1 Edge Industrial appliances can be found at: http://www.checkpoint.com/products/utm-1_edge/index.html.
Pricing and Availability
The new Embedded NGX 8.0 firmware for Check Point UTM-1 Edge and [email protected]
appliances is available immediately and can be downloaded by Check Point customers with valid support contracts from the Check Point User Center. UTM-1 Edge and [email protected]
appliances can be purchased through Check Point's worldwide network of value-added resellers. To learn more about specific models and pricing, and to find a Check Point partner visit www.checkpoint.com.
Keep up with the latest cybersecurity threats, newly-discovered vulnerabilities, data breach information, and emerging trends. Delivered daily or weekly right to your email inbox.Subscribe