An F-Secure survey found that nearly one in ten Americans have lost their mobile device or had it stolen in the previous 12 months,* thanks to the compactness and mobility of smartphones and tablets. With sensitive and personal data stored on mobile devices, including banking information and passwords, consumers should make sure their data is protected in case their device ends up in the wrong hands.
Apps are another area that are unique to the mobile space. While most are fun and functional, there are plenty of risky and malicious apps that spy on and track user behavior or steal data. Many apps request permissions to access sensitive data that they should have no need for.
F-Secure's Mobile Security responds to the problem that mobile devices present to consumer privacy. Available now for a free trial from the Google Play app store, F-Secure Mobile Security enables consumers to protect their personal data. Consumers can ensure data from a missing device doesn't get into the wrong hands, and they will be alerted of apps that could be used to monitor, track them, or steal their data.
Mobile malware, and phishing in a mobile pond
Malware volumes are another area where PC and smartphone security differ. "Mobile malware is still nowhere near the volume of malware that targets PCs," said Mikko Hypponen, Chief Research Officer at F-Secure. "But it certainly exists, and we are seeing increasing commoditization that is a worrying trend."
F-Secure Labs' latest Mobile Threat Report showed a 49% rise in mobile malware detections in the first quarter of 2013, to 149 new threat families and variants. Android is the clear target of most threats, with 91% of threats aimed at it, and the other 9% targeting Symbian. Most Android malware is distributed via malicious apps, whereas PC malware distribution is much more varied. However, the first quarter of 2013 saw the first Android malware distribution via email, perhaps indicating the terrain is becoming more complex.
"When it comes to phishing schemes, mobile devices are more vulnerable than PCs," Hypponen commented. "For example, people commonly lose their social media passwords through their smartphones simply because it's more difficult to see the addresses and figure out if a site is real or cloned. As for browsing protection for children, it is equally necessary on a smartphone, tablet, or PC, wherever the kids have access."
Comprehensive security tailored to the demands of mobility
Given the risks, consumers must protect their mobile devices just as much as they protect their PCs. F-Secure Mobile Security is an award-winning** security package especially designed for the security needs of smartphones and tablets. In case of loss or theft, it protects the device's personal and confidential data. Antivirus protects against mobile malware and alerts the user of applications that could potentially be used for monitoring or stealing data. Mobile Security ensures safe browsing, including phishing protection, and safeguards your identity online, protecting children from harmful web content and apps, in addition to call and SMS filtering and blocking for all.
F-Secure Mobile Security is available now in the Google Play store for a 30-day free trial, followed by an option to purchase for just $0.99 for six months. This campaign pricing is valid until the end of July. Download it today at: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsecure.ms.dc&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5mc2VjdXJlLm1zLmRjIl0.
*The F-Secure broadband survey covered web interviews of 6,400 broadband subscribers aged 20–60 years from 14 countries: France, the UK, Germany, Sweden, Finland, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, Belgium, USA, Canada, Brazil, India and Japan. The survey was completed by GfK, 25 May–1 June 2012.
**F-Secure Mobile Security received 1st place in Mobile Security Comparative Review, January 2013. Chip Magazine (Germany)
F-Secure Mobile Security product page
F-Secure Labs Q1 2013 Mobile Threat Report
Labs Webinar on Q1 2013 Mobile Threat Report featuring Mikko Hypponen and Sean Sullivan