More than half of enterprise employees have received no security awareness training, and that lack of training is resulting in risky behavior, according to a study published Tuesday.
The survey of 600 employees, conducted by EMA Research and sponsored by training firm Security Mentor, indicates that 56 percent of workers say they have not had security or policy awareness training from their organizations. The remainder of employees (44 percent) say they have received annual training.
The absence of training leads to frequent violations of security policy, according to the study. Some 58 percent of respondents say they store company-sensitive information on their personal devices; 59 percent say they store work information on cloud services.
Thirty-five percent of the respondents say they have clicked on an email link from an unknown sender; 33 percent say they use the same password for both work and personal devices; 30 percent say they leave mobile devices unattended in their vehicles.
"People repeatedly have been shown as the weak link in the security program," says EMA Research analyst David Monahan, who authored the study. "Without training, people will click on links in email and release sensitive information in any number of ways. In most cases they don't realize what they are doing is wrong until a third-party makes them aware of it."
The full findings of the report will be outlined in a webcast on Apr. 15.