ownCloud Enterprise Edition, Helps Large Companies Solve Their Dropbox ProblemownCloud Enterprise Edition, Helps Large Companies Solve Their Dropbox Problem
ownCloud Enterprise Edition builds on the recently released ownCloud Community Edition
July 3, 2013
Lexington, MA – ownCloud, Inc., the company behind the world's most popular open source secure enterprise file sync and share software, announced today the release next month of its latest version of ownCloud Enterprise Edition, giving enterprises a secure, customizable and extensible way to host their own file sync and share software.
With more than 950,000 users worldwide, ownCloud offers the ease-of-use, flexibility, sophistication and security unmatched by basic consumer-grade syncing apps and third-party storage. ownCloud Enterprise Edition becomes part of the existing infrastructure because it can be deployed fully on-premise, integrating into existing user directories, governance processes, security, monitoring, storage and back-up tools. And because ownCloud is open source and open by nature, plug-in apps extend ownCloud out of the box, enabling file versioning, file sharing, external file system mounts and much more. If additional applications or capabilities are needed, enterprises can easily extend ownCloud via an enhanced application plug-in architecture, and add it to their ownCloud server.
"Consumers recognize the ease and value of a Dropbox-like capability and long for the same from their employers. This creates a troubling, unsanctioned use of consumer FSS services that can cause enterprise data exposures," said Gene Ruth, Gartner Research Director. "This 'hair on fire' scenario drives enterprises to look the other way, prohibit the use of FSS services, or adapt to the new realities and offer a managed FSS solution for their employees to maintain control of access to, and preservation of, enterprise data. Implementing an FSS solution has the positive effect of not just simplifying data access, but also offering productivity improvements, particularly for mobile workforces that require anywhere-anytime-any device access to data."
"An important part of INCF's core mission is to foster scientific data sharing worldwide," said Sean Hill, executive director of the International Neuroinformatics Coordinating Facility (INCF), an organization that develops and maintains database and computational infrastructure for neuroscientists. "Keeping all this critical information on our own distributed storage, integrating it with our security, tracking and governance tools, and providing end users with a very easy-to-use access tool was key to the decision to work with ownCloud."
Latest ownCloud Enterprise Edition Features
The latest ownCloud Enterprise Edition builds on the recently released ownCloud Community Edition with:
· Improved Active Directory (AD) and LDAP integration: Support for multiple LDAP and AD directories enhances authentication performance.
· AES encryption at rest: Files are now even more secure, with native at-rest encryption provided by ownCloud on whatever backend storage system the enterprise chooses.
· Provisioning API: User provisioning can now be integrated into existing data center automation tools.
· Enhanced external storage app: Integrate existing file stores because ownCloud provides a single interface for user access to all of their documents.
· Home directory integration: Integrate ownCloud with existing user home directories via CIFS or NFS, making sync and share a seamless extension of existing user storage.
· Deleted Files: Restore deleted files and folders without the intervention of the administrator.
· Anonymous Upload: Collaboration with partners and contractors is now much easier, and can be managed, fully logged and audited by IT.
· Interface: Manage files and accounts in a simplified interface, for better account identification, and a simplified plug-in application settings panel.
"Studies have shown that up to 75% of employees in large and very large enterprises use consumer-grade file sync and share apps (a la Dropbox) to store sensitive company data without IT's permission or visibility," said Markus Rex, CEO, ownCloud. "Businesses, especially those in industries with mobile workers and sensitive data – like finance, healthcare, government, and higher education -- are increasingly turning to ownCloud to take control of their data back."
ownCloud is Certified for the Enterprise
Upon launch of ownCloud Community edition, ownCloud Inc. begins certification tests of the Community Edition, desktop clients and mobile apps. The company then enhances the enterprise software, upgrading it to take advantage of the new features, making it all function properly together as an integrated unit. Finally, the company works on packaging and tests the ownCloud installation and upgrade process so that by the time the company releases the latest ownCloud Enterprise Edition, it is certified and ready for enterprise production environments.
OwnCloud Enterprise also supports the Community Edition features:
· New antivirus: Scan uploaded files using ClamAV, to prevent automated distribution of infected files.
· Display name: Create display names to simplify the collaborative experience.
· Improved versioning: Automatically manage versions on the server.
· Capability API: Make calls to the server and learn which capabilities, or apps, are installed and working.
· Improved file cache: Provide greater flexibility and greater performance (up to 500% faster).
Access to ownCloud stored content is provided via a web browser, desktop syncing apps for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux, and mobile apps for Android and iOS mobile devices. ownCloud also supports WebDAV access for other standards-based tools.
Pricing and Availability
ownCloud Enterprise Edition will be available in July at https://owncloud.com/download. Pricing for ownCloud Enterprise Edition begins at a yearly subscription of $15 per month with a minimum of 50 users.
About ownCloud Inc.
Based on the popular ownCloud open source file sync and share community project, ownCloud Inc. was founded in 2011 to give corporate IT greater control of their data -- combining greater flexibility, openness and extensibility with on premise servers and storage. Company headquarters are in Lexington, MA, with European headquarters in Nuremberg, Germany. For more information, visit: http://www.owncloud.com.
You May Also Like
Reducing Cyber Risk in Enterprise Email Systems: It's Not Just Spam and PhishingNov 01, 2023
SecOps & DevSecOps in the CloudNov 06, 2023
What's In Your Cloud?Nov 30, 2023
Everything You Need to Know About DNS AttacksNov 30, 2023