Baltimore - The National Cyber Security Hall of Fame will induct five innovators at its award ceremony on Thursday, Oct. 29, at the Four Seasons Hotel in Baltimore, Maryland. The keynote speaker for the ceremony is Facebook's CSO Alex Stamos.
Of the more than 200 nominations reviewed, the following five individuals were chosen because of their contributions and influence on the cybersecurity industry:
- Cynthia E. Irvine is a distinguished professor of computer science at the Naval Postgraduate School. Her research has focused on developmental security as applied to the creation of trustworthy systems, and recently, on cyber operations.
- Susan Landau is a professor of cybersecurity policy in the Department of Social Science and Policy Studies at Worcester Polytechnic Institute. Landau has been a senior staff privacy analyst at Google, a distinguished engineer at Sun Microsystems, and a faculty member at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst and Wesleyan University.
- Steven B. Lipner recently retired as partner director of software security for Microsoft. He led Microsoft's Security Development Lifecycle team and oversaw corporate strategies and policies for supply chain security, and government security evaluation of Microsoft products. Lipner currently serves as a board member and chair of SAFECode.
- Ron Ross is considered the "Father" of the FISMA security standards, and is recognized as one of the world's leading experts on cybersecurity. He is also the principal architect of the NIST Risk Management Framework.
- Jerome H. Saltzer is a faculty member of the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at MIT. Saltzer was technical director of MIT Project Athena, one of the first deployed examples of "cloud computing."
Information about the inductees can be found here.
The ceremony is part of this year's CyberMaryland Conference.
Event: National Cyber Security Hall of Fame Awards Ceremony
When: Oct. 29, 6-10 p.m.
Location: Four Seasons Hotel Baltimore, 200 International Dr., Baltimore, Maryland 21202
Contacts: Michael Rudd: (301) 520-1248
Joyce Bosc: (301) 717-9529
About the National Cyber Security Hall of Fame
The National Cyber Security Hall of Fame motto, "Respect the Past: Protect the Future," recognizes the history and contributions of those pioneers, innovators and educators who influenced the industry and laid the foundation for those standing sentry on tomorrow's cybersecurity challenges and solutions. For more information, visit www.cybersecurityhalloffame.com.