Englewood, Colo. " August 26, 2009 " MX Logic, the world's largest independent provider of managed email and web security solutions, today released the September MX Logic Threat Forecast & Report. The monthly report provides information on recent and potential email and Web threats, as well as expert analysis of real time spam and virus events. This month's analysis includes the following highlights.
Forecasted Email and Web Security Threats in September:
- Spam levels will remain at all times highs in September, accounting for more than 9 out of 10 emails delivered
- With the web of trust that users generally have with the people they are connected to on social networking sites, we expect to see an increase in spam and malware disguised as legitimate messages from someone the recipient knows.
- As the U.S. healthcare reform debate continues to heat up, there's a strong chance we'll begin to see forms of political 'hacktivism' impacting the performance and availability of popular social networking sites.
Security Threats/Trends Observed in August:
- Overall spam volume (total number of spam messages) slowed slightly, however spam levels (percentage of spam versus all email) inched up to 94.9 percent of all email sent.
- The United States continues to hold a slim lead over Brazil with respect to being the country that produces the most spam.
- Healthcare remained the most prevalent category of spam.
- Fake UPS or DHL invoices remain the most popular theme to use with malware attached directly to email. In fact, this tactic made up 4 of the top 5 malicious email campaigns.
ONLINE SECURITY RESOURCES
- September MX Logic Threat Forecast and Report: http://www.mxlogic.com/threatforecast/
- MX Logic IT Security Blog for breaking email and web security threats and information: http://www.mxlogic.com/itsecurityblog/index.cfm
- MX Logic Threat Center: http://www.mxlogic.com/threat_center/
- Security Buzz, weekly security podcast: http://www.mxlogic.com/securitybuzz/index.cfm
About MX Logic
MX Logic is a leading provider of managed email and Web security services that delivers enterprise-grade performance without enterprise-level complexity and cost. Our easy-to-use, award-winning services reduce risk and liability, lower overall IT costs, and increase productivity. MX Logic services are available through our industry-leading partner network. For more information, visit www.mxlogic.com.