Lenovo's SMC 2.0 consists of SMC supported Lenovo ThinkCentre desktop PCs with Intel' vPro Technology, a Lenovo co-developed software stack and centralized Lenovo Storage Array Appliance. This remote storage-based solution offers the benefits of an alternative client solution like centralized image and user provisioning, secure data storage, redundancy and single image capability, without sacrificing the end-user desktop experience by delivering full graphics and audio performance and support for ThinkCentre peripherals such as add-in graphic cards and USB devices.
SMC 2.0 builds on the capabilities of SMC 1.2 in several critical areas including:
Better Security and Storage
* Pristine Image Support1 " An SMC 2.0 enabled PC will return to its original state with each time a user turns off the PC. During this process, SMC 2.0 resets the image on the array to pristine states by removing viruses or malware, temporarily saved information such as files, passwords, and user unique information. This feature makes SMC 2.0 ideal for work settings such as kiosks, libraries and for task workers and software test environments.
* Enhanced Redundancy " In addition to the asynchronous redundancy available in SMC 1.2, SMC 2.0 offers IT managers improved data access by creating duplicate connection managers, allowing end users to continue logging into their desktop PCs even if the original client connection to the SMC Connection Manager in the data center is not available. SMC 2.0 also allows for array synchronous replication2 " a process that instantly backs up user data on separate, redundant storage arrays as soon as user data is saved.
Ease of Management and Improved Manageability
Assigned Seating " IT managers will now be able to choose between assigning an image to a user or a particular SMC client such as a PC located in an office, classroom, hotel lobby or school library. By assigning an image to a specific PC, the PC will always boot directly to a defined Windows image.
* Storage Array Auto Detection " Designed for even the most novice administrator, SMC 2.0 makes managing storage arrays on the network easy with Auto Detect. Once a new storage array has been installed, the SMC 2.0 console automatically detects its presence on the network, minimizing the need to notify the administrator that a new array has been installed.
* Expanded Language Support " On SMC 2.0, Lenovo's user login interface will support additional languages including Scandinavian as well as double byte character set (DBCS) languages such as Chinese, Japanese and Korean.
Enhanced User Experience
* ThinkCentre desktop PCs operating on the SMC 2.0 network can support additional PC add-in cards such as quad monitor graphics, providing users with expandability options. In addition, SMC 2.0 hypervisor automatically delivers higher quality of service for VoIP applications, ideal for call centers or large enterprises that rely heavily on VoIP for phone communications.
"Our customers are asking us for an alternative desktop computing solution that is simple to use, easy to deploy and will deliver a tangible return on investment," said Peter Schrady, vice president, general manager, Software and Peripherals, Lenovo. "The answer is SMC 2.0. We have designed SMC 2.0 to reduce the cost and complexity of desktop virtualization. And best of all, there is no discernible difference to the end user as they work directly from a familiar, full functioning ThinkCentre desktop PC."
Seamless Transition to SMC 2.0
Lenovo offers a suite of Lenovo Professional Services to help customers deploy their solution quickly from initial migration planning to end-to-end SMC implementation. These services include:
* SMC Assessment * Infrastructure Planning & Design * Pilot Deployment * Managed Deployment * Customer Training * SMC Consulting * System Tuning
Customers can also choose Lenovo service and support options including ThinkPlus Priority Support for continuous, 24/7 reliability and efficient operation of the SMC 2.0 solution.
For more information please visit: www.lenovo.com/securemanagedclient.
SMC 2.0 can be deployed on SMC compliant Lenovo ThinkCentre desktop PCs such as the ThinkCentre M58p. The SMC 2.0 solution will be available starting in February 2010 in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and select countries in Europe, Africa and Asia.
Lenovo (HKSE: 992) (ADR: LNVGY) is dedicated to building exceptionally engineered personal computers. Lenovo's business model is built on innovation, operational efficiency and customer satisfaction as well as a focus on investment in emerging markets. Formed by Lenovo Group's acquisition of the former IBM Personal Computing Division, the company develops, manufactures and markets reliable, high-quality, secure and easy-to-use technology products and services worldwide. Lenovo has major research centers in Yamato, Japan; Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen, China; and Raleigh, North Carolina. For more information see www.lenovo.com.