SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Intellectual property (IP) protection has become a primary challenge in todays highly competitive commercial environment, as well as in government and military applications, which have an inherent need for elevated security. In response, Altera Corporation (NASDAQ:ALTR) today announced the availability of a comprehensive Stratix® II FPGA design security solution to protect IP. The easy-to-implement Stratix II design security solution uses advanced encryption standard (AES) along with a 128-bit non-volatile key, and is ideal for applications requiring design flexibility and protection.
As FPGAs advance in density, functionality and performance with each new process generation, designers are increasingly using them to perform critical system functions that were traditionally filled by ASICs or ASSPs. The Stratix II design security solution offers benefits for a number of applications and market environments:
- In areas where IP laws are not well enforced, the Stratix II design security feature enables IP protection, resulting in increased revenue retention.
- The Stratix II design security solution allows different security keys to be programmed into different Stratix II devices, enabling product version control and customization.
- The ability to encrypt configuration files in Stratix II FPGAs ensures royalty income for IP vendors, since they can track exact IP usage.
- The tampering protection of the Stratix II design security solution prevents undesired modification of gaming machines.
- The Stratix II design security solution allows military customers to protect core technology and information, and prevent tampering.
- ASSP vendors can test market and adapt the functionality in their ASSPs via Stratix II FPGAs while protecting their IP.
The non-volatile security provided by Stratix II FPGAs, as well as HardCopy® structured ASICs, allows us to deliver solutions that offer the security and cost effectiveness of ASSPs and the time-to-market and flexibility of programmable logic, said Peter Viereck, CEO of TPACK. Because Stratix II FPGAs combine AES with industry-leading performance and density, we can offer comprehensive Ethernet/MPLS and Ethernet-over-SONET/SDH solutions that meet the most rigorous requirements.
Altera Corp. (Nasdaq: ALTR)