Click to Tweet: Survey: Nearly ½ of employees who know company does not allow use of file sharing services use them anyway http://bit.ly/11acohn
Businesses rely on corporate IT teams to manage secure protection and controlled access to critical data. When employees use consumer-grade file sharing services for work files, they override the systems in place and usurp the responsibility of IT. As the flood of consumer mobile devices entering the workplace rises, the risk of data loss and exposure is growing.
Nasuni surveyed more than 1,300 corporate IT users to investigate the use of consumer file sharing services and their connection with the rise of BYOD. Some of the findings include:
· One in five employees uses Dropbox for work files;
· When IT has a policy against using file sharing at work, half of employees use these services even though they are aware that their employer has a policy against it;
· Corporate leaders are the worst culprits. VPs and directors are most likely to use Dropbox despite the risks;
· Three in five (58 percent) of employees with a personal smart phone or tablet access work files from that device; and
· Before the end of January 2013, the number personal devices in the workplace will increase by 25%.
"Consumer file sharing services and mobile devices have introduced enterprise employees to a new world of powerful, easy to use capabilities," said Andres Rodriguez, CEO of Nasuni. "And, as our survey demonstrates, because the enterprise has been very slow to roll out services with a comparable value, their employees are using the same services at work that they use to share photos and documents with their friends. As a result, enterprise IT is rapidly losing control of corporate data. It's a risky proposition that IT needs to be in front of, and not behind."
To download the full report, Special Report on Shadow IT in the Workplace, please visit http://www.nasuni.com/shadowit.
Nasuni will also present a Webinar on the survey results on Thursday, Dec. 6 at 11am ET. Click this link to register.
Nasuni is an enterprise storage company that provides globally-distributed organizations with a simple, unified storage solution that includes mobile access for all of their remote and branch offices. By combining on-premise hardware with cloud storage, Nasuni delivers a secure, all-in-one data storage solution that provides local performance for users, simplified and centralized management for IT, and an easily scalable, complete remote office storage solution for the enterprise.
Nasuni is privately held and based in Natick, Mass. For more information, visit www.nasuni.com.