Aix-en-Provence, France, April 1, 2014 – INSIDE Secure(NYSE Euronext: INSD), a leader in embedded security solutions for mobile and connected devices, today announced it intends to enter into a new agreement with Intel Corporation, building on the relationship initiated with their NFC technology license agreement in 2011.
Under the terms of the contemplated agreement, INSIDE Secure would:
- extend the current worldwide, perpetual license into a broad, royalty-free and fully paid-up license, with INSIDE Secure retaining ownership of most of the related IP assets and rights
- transfer to Intel its MicroRead-v5 next-generation NFC hardware and software modem technology currently under development together with certain related tangible and intangible assets, including certain IP assets
- receive from Intel US$ 19.2 million in cash at closing
Moreover, Intel would offer employment to certain INSIDE Secure employees based in France and California.
The execution of the agreements is intended to take place upon completion of an “information and consultation” process with INSIDE Secure’s works council in France and is subject to customary signing and closing conditions.
The transaction is expected to be strongly accretive to INSIDE Secure’s earnings in 2014, both thanks to the license revenue and on-going reduction in operating expense.
This transaction is fully in line with INSIDE Secure’s strategy:
- to focus on high added value embedded security solutions for mobile and connected devices through its Mobile Security and Secure Transactions divisions;
- to address the NFC market through licensing programs;
- to continue supporting its legacy microcontroller NFC business and existing customers, and;
- to pursue the development of other hardware platforms for mobile and other connected devices. In particular, the Group plans to continue to develop the NFC booster front end PicoPulse™.
Rémy de Tonnac, Chief Executive Officer of INSIDE Secure, stated: "We are very pleased with this new strategic agreement with Intel. It demonstrates the ability of INSIDE Secure to develop cutting edge technology and IP that major semiconductor companies can integrate in their offering. It will also contribute to increasing our strategic focus on embedded security solutions for mobile and connected devices.”
Aicha Evans, Corporate Vice President and General Manager of the Wireless Platform Research and Development Group in the Platform Engineering Group of Intel, said: “Over the last two years, we have been impressed by the technology, deliverables and the professionalism of INSIDE Secure. Intel will continue with this NFC technology in support of our wireless product roadmap.”
Press and investor contacts
+33 (0) 4 42 39 33 01
Richard Vacher Detournière
General Manager & Chief Financial Officer
About INSIDE Secure
INSIDE Secure (NYSE Euronext Paris FR0010291245 – INSD) provides comprehensive embedded security solutions. World-leading companies rely on INSIDE Secure’s mobile security and secure transaction offerings to protect critical assets including connected devices, content, services, identity and transactions. Unmatched security expertise combined with a comprehensive range of IP, semiconductors, software and associated services gives INSIDE Secure customers a single source for advanced solutions and superior investment protection. For more information, visit www.insidesecure.com.
This press release contains certain forward-looking statements concerning the INSIDE Secure group. Although INSIDE Secure believes its expectations to be based on reasonable assumptions, they do not constitute guarantees of future performance. The Group's actual results may accordingly differ materially from those anticipated in these forward-looking statements owing to a number of risks and uncertainties. For a more detailed description of these risks and uncertainties, please refer to the "Risk Factors" section of the annual financial report of April 24, 2013, available on www.insidesecure.com.