A systemic cyberattack attack that simultaneously affects multiple companies is likely to occur this year, with the financial services industry ranked at the top of the list of targeted sectors, according to a survey released today by American International Group (AIG).
AIG queried 70 cybersecurity, technology, and insurance professionals, in the study, and found that the industries most likely to face a systemic attack this year are:
- financial services, with financial networks and transaction systems at greatest risk (19%)
- power and energy, with the Internet infrastructure a likely target (15%)
- telecommunications and utilities, with the power grid at risk (14%)
- healthcare, with the healthcare system a likely target (13%)
- information technology, with software and hardware organizations getting hit, thus disabling the backbone of the digital economy (12%)
More than half of the survey respondents believe a simultaneous attack will occur involving five- to 10 companies, while one-third of those surveyed believe there is more than an even chance that as many as 50 companies will be attacked simultaneously. As for the remaining 20% of survey respondents, they think the number of companies that could be attacked at once could reach into as many as 100 businesses.
Read more about the survey here.