REDWOOD SHORES, CA--(Marketwired - Aug 7, 2014) - Oracle (NYSE: ORCL)
Encryption is widely recognized as the gold standard for protecting data privacy, but encryption is only as strong as its key management. Critical credential files such as Oracle wallet files, Java KeyStores, Secure Shell (SSH) key files, and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate files are often widely distributed across servers and server clusters that use error-prone synchronization and backup mechanisms. As organizations increasingly encrypt data at rest and on the network, securely managing all the encryption keys and credential files in the data center has become a major challenge.
At the same time, organizations also need to comply with stringent regulatory requirements for managing keys and certificates. Many global regulations and industry standards call for audits demonstrating that keys are routinely rotated, properly destroyed, and accessed solely by authorized entities.
To address the need for robust key management, Oracle today introduced Oracle Key Vault, a software appliance designed to securely manage encryption keys and credential files in the enterprise data center.
- Oracle Key Vault, the latest addition to the Oracle Database security portfolio, provides secure, centralized management of encryption keys and credential files in the data center, including Oracle wallet files, Java KeyStores, Kerberos keytab files, SSH key files, and SSL certificate files.
- Optimized for the Oracle technology stack, including Oracle Database and Oracle Fusion Middleware, Oracle Key Vault can be deployed seamlessly in existing environments.
- Built for x86-64 hardware, the fully integrated software appliance uses Oracle Linux and Oracle Database technology for security, availability, and scalability.
- Oracle Key Vault is the industry's most modern solution for managing keys and metadata. Features include the following:
- Easy archival and recovery. The new solution archives Oracle wallet files, Java KeyStores, and other credential files in a master repository, supporting fast, easy file sharing and recovery.
- Centralized management. Oracle Key Vault's browser-based management console offers point-and-click administration, simplified server enrollment, and audit reports.
- Streamlined sharing. Organizations can securely share Oracle wallet files -- standards-based encrypted files that securely store keys and related metadata used by components of the Oracle stack -- across database clusters or disaster recovery environments. The product works seamlessly with Oracle Real Application Clusters, Oracle Active Data Guard, and Oracle GoldenGate.
- Flexibility. In Oracle Database environments using Oracle Advanced Security with Transparent Data Encryption (TDE), Oracle Key Vault manages TDE keys over a direct network connection as an alternative to a local Oracle wallet.
- Standards Compliance. Based on the OASIS Key Management Interoperability Protocol (KMIP), Oracle Key Vault can manage keys from KMIP-compliant clients.
- "Oracle Advanced Security with Transparent Data Encryption has played an important role in protecting the sensitive data stored in our Oracle databases. However as the need to encrypt data increases, both within the Oracle Database and beyond, encryption key management becomes a challenge," said Brad Peiffer, director of IT data management services at Educational Testing Service. "We are looking forward to the new Oracle Key Vault solution that will allow us to centrally manage our Oracle wallet files, encryption keys, and certificates. Oracle Key Vault can simplify operations and help us improve our security posture and regulatory compliance."
- "Encryption is no longer optional for managing enterprise data. It has become an essential element of end-to-end data protection," said Carl Olofson, IDC research vice president, Application Development and Deployment. "As enterprises implement encryption in their middleware, database, and operating systems, key management becomes increasingly complex and difficult. Enterprises need a means of sensibly and securely managing those keys. Oracle has developed Oracle Key Vault to give customers the advantage of a standards-based solution, optimized for the Oracle technology stack, for centralized management of their encryption keys."
- "As regulations worldwide increasingly call for more data to be encrypted, organizations need a centralized solution to securely manage all the encryption keys and credential files in their data centers," said Vipin Samar, vice president, database security product development at Oracle. "Oracle Key Vault is a modern, standards-based product that allows organizations to reduce the overhead of regulatory compliance with a solution that protects Oracle Database encryption master keys, Oracle wallet files, Java KeyStores, and other credential files."
- Oracle Key Vault
- Oracle Database Security
- Register for the Oracle Key Vault live webcast on Thursday, August 21, at 10 a.m. PT.
- Join Oracle live events featuring "Introduction to Oracle Key Vault" in a city near you.
- Connect with Oracle Database via Blog, Facebook, and Twitter
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.