“Organizations are very interested in desktop virtualization with its promise of cost savings and simplified management, however security and user experience have been two key issues IT teams needed to address in taking on these projects,” said Erik Giesa, VP of Product Management and Product Marketing at F5 Networks. “These are two core areas of expertise for F5’s Application Ready Solutions, which are designed to expedite implementation of emerging technologies like desktop virtualization.”
F5’s Application Ready Solution for VMware View 4.5 is a validated, documented solution, complete with deployment guidance that is specifically tailored to enhance the security, availability, and scalability of VMware View without compromising performance. Highlights include:
• Superior User Experience with SSO – Streamlining the authentication process for mobile/remote workers not only enhances user experience, but also minimizes security risk and reduces password lockout calls to the helpdesk. BIG-IP Edge Gateway caches sign-on credentials and enables authentication passthrough during the logon process. If the connection drops, the user will automatically be re-authenticated.
• Secure Access with Broad Range of Authentication Mechanisms – Providing stringent access control is vital to secure corporate desktops and protect critical business assets. BIG-IP Edge Gateway provides powerful authentication and access control with pre-logon checks on the endpoint device before the logon sequence begins. In addition, it provides a broad range of authentication mechanisms, including two-factor schemes and various back-end directory services. After authentication, BIG-IP Edge Gateway guarantees the encryption of all VMware View transport protocols, including PCoIP, to enable external users to securely connect to virtual desktops in the enterprise.
• Unique Support for the PCoIP Display Protocol – BIG-IP Edge Gateway, with its Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) feature, is uniquely capable of providing security for transporting PCoIP communications—with no degradation in performance. In addition, BIG-IP Edge Gateway supports automatic fallback to TCP if a high-performance UDP tunnel cannot be established.
• Reduced Infrastructure/Power/Space Requirements for the Data Center – As part of the Application Ready Solution for VMware View 4.5, BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager provides valuable server offload functions to optimize availability and scalability for VMware View deployments. These include load balancing, health monitoring, session persistence, and SSL server offload for the VMware View connection brokers. In addition to reducing CapEx and OpEx costs, the solution helps IT departments enhance user experience.
“VMware is committed to providing our customers with the best user experience. With F5’s Application Ready Solution, organizations implementing VMware View™ 4.5 benefit from a high-performance desktop environment that simplifies authentication and connectivity for users, while enabling rich management features to help drive down desktop management costs,” said Vittorio Viarengo, VP, End-User Computing Products, VMware. “When it comes to addressing our customers’ needs, Softchoice takes a holistic approach to storage, networking, and virtualization in order to deliver increased efficiencies while laying the groundwork for a more dynamic and more scalable IT environment,” said Frank Ball, Director of Networking at Softchoice. “F5’s solutions align well with ours, adding clear value to VMware View™ deployments by ensuring end-to-end security, performance, and scale. By working with F5 on VMware View deployments, we can offer greater value to our customers by helping them achieve a superior user experience and fully optimize their desktop virtualization projects.”
“Extending the value of desktop virtualization beyond the corporate network is becoming a primary use case as companies target offshore developers, regional offices, and contract workers,” said Mark Bowker, Senior Analyst at Enterprise Strategy Group. “Architecting F5 solutions into VMware View™ deployments helps ensure feature-rich and reliable user experience, secure connections, and simplified single sign-on access to centralized virtual desktops.”
F5’s Application Ready Solution for VMware View 4.5 is available today. The integrated solution comprises several F5 technologies, including BIG-IP Edge Gateway and BIG-IP LTM.
• F5 Solutions for VMware View • Deploying F5 Solutions with VMware View 4.5 • F5 and VMware Solution Guide
F5 Networks at the VMworld 2010 Conference F5 will be at VMworld 2010 at the Moscone Convention Center in San Francisco, August 30 to September 2. Please visit F5 Networks at Booth #1131. For more information about VMworld 2010, see www.vmworld2010.com. About F5 Application Ready Solutions F5' Application Ready Solutions provide a set of best practices, guidelines, and policies that enable the quick deployment and optimized performance of specific applications. By removing bottlenecks outside the application's control that put deployments at risk, such as WAN latency, F5 Application Ready Solutions improve user experience, strengthen security, unify access control and enforcement, and ensure the superior scalability of specific applications. About F5 Networks
F5 Networks is the global leader in Application Delivery Networking (ADN), focused on ensuring the secure, reliable, and fast delivery of applications. F5’s flexible architectural framework enables community-driven innovation that helps organizations enhance IT agility and dynamically deliver services that generate true business value. F5’s vision of unified application and data delivery offers customers an unprecedented level of choice in how they deploy ADN solutions. It redefines the management of application, server, storage, and network resources, streamlining application delivery and reducing costs. Global enterprise organizations, service and cloud providers, and Web 2.0 content providers trust F5 to keep their business moving forward. For more information, go to www.f5.com.
F5, BIG-IP, Edge Gateway, Local Traffic Manager, and LTM are trademarks or service marks of F5 Networks, Inc., in the U.S. and other countries. VMware, VMware View, and VMworld are registered trademarks and/or trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. All other product and company names herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.
This press release may contain forward-looking statements relating to future events or future financial performance that involve risks and uncertainties. Such statements can be identified by terminology such as "may," "will," "should," "expects," "plans," "anticipates," "believes," "estimates," "predicts," "potential," or "continue," or the negative of such terms or comparable terms. These statements are only predictions and actual results could differ materially from those anticipated in these statements based upon a number of factors including those identified in the company's filings with the SEC.
# # #