CA Introduces New Products For Identity And Access ManagementMobility and API solutions help secure cloud, Web, and mobile applications
SAN FRANCISCO, February 24, 2014 -- RSA Conference – CA Technologies (NASDAQ: CA) today announced new and updated identity-based solutions to help secure the increasing number of cloud, web and mobile applications operating in today's open enterprise.
The new mobility and API solutions announced today accelerate mobile app development, improve application performance and deliver security and user convenience from the client to the backend.
"The expansion of mobile and cloud use and the growth in API adoption has opened the enterprise and further complicated the security challenge of balancing business enablement with business protection," said Mike Denning, senior vice president and general manager, Security business, CA Technologies. "CA is the only company that can protect data and applications operating in today's open enterprise from development through runtime and from device to data center."
According to a recent report, "Forrester predicts that in 2014, mobile and cloud adoption will continue to drive identity and access management (IAM) toward application programming interface (API) management."*
CA's identity and access management (IAM) solutions help ensure the right users and devices have the right access to the right data--whether the user is a developer building the latest cloud mashup or mobile app, a customer accessing his or her mobile banking application or an employee accessing a corporate cloud service.
"At Orlando Utilities Commission (OUC), we are putting our data to work for us in the form of APIs to better serve our customers," said George Delacova, Solution Architect, for OUC--The Reliable One, the second largest municipal utility in Florida. "By securely opening our data as APIs to trusted payment partners, our customer portal and our interactive telephone system, we now have applications that can receive a customer payment and get a customer's power up and running within minutes. Working with CA Technologies to manage and secure those APIs is critical to our ability to put the customer first and deliver the best experience."
Securing the Mobile Enterprise with Unmatched User Convenience
To help organizations meet the security needs for a broad range of mobile apps--whether custom-built, vendor-provided or accessed via a Web browser--CA Technologies offers a unified Web and API security and management solution. This helps speed the development process for software engineers and optimize app performance during peak loads. Additional new application security and advanced authentication solutions help secure the app once deployed.
According to Forrester Research, Inc., "Development shops are just starting to grapple with the biggest change to system architecture since the rise of client/server in the early 1990s: omnichannel clients deployed on smartphones, tablets, and other connected devices. The mobile-first focus these organizations adopt forces application architects to think differently about the APIs clients use to access data and functionality."**
The CA Layer 7 API Portal makes it simple to create a branded online interface for developers so they can access all the design time resources needed to quickly discover and understand an API, and then create an application and track its usage. Designed to support partner, third-party and internal developers across multiple groups simultaneously, this solution grants each unit its own set of access and API publishing privileges -- all from a single portal. The newest release of the API portal provides important features to speed application development with the security expected by the business and customers, including:
• API discovery, interactive documentation and exploration.
• Improved and simplified API grouping and advanced packaging that allows developers to add functionality to an application with one click.
• Integration with the CA Layer 7 Mobile Access GatewayTM to easily add security to an application.
The CA Layer 7 Mobile Access Gateway simplifies the process of adapting internal data, applications and security infrastructure for mobile use. It provides a centralized way to maintain and control security and management policies for information assets exposed via APIs while delivering a consistent level of performance for the app end user. It was the first API Gateway to provide an out-of-the box security software development kit (SDK) to speed incorporating token handling and single sign-on in mobile apps for secure authorization of users, apps and devices. New functionality for the Mobile Access Gateway includes:
• Integration of CA SiteMinder® session cookies and the Mobile SDK to extend the SiteMinder SSO credentials with native mobile apps.
• Social login to enterprise mobile apps, providing convenience for the user while maintaining security and governance.
• Support for the Adobe PhoneGap cross-platform mobile development framework.
Once a mobile app is deployed and running, another level of security is required to help ensure the right user--employing the right device at the right time from the right location--has access to approved applications.
CA Mobile Application Management (CA MAM) is a new, organically developed solution for the BYOD enterprise. CA MAM leverages CA's innovative Smart Containerization&trade technology to dynamically control mobile application access policies at a granular level while retaining the native app experience specific to the device or platform. Features such as geo-fencing, time-fencing, network-fencing and enhanced authentication define and enforce detailed access policies related to geographies, time of day and networks, further improving security of enterprise mobile apps.
The current release of CA Advanced Authentication complements the solutions announced today by providing a variety of strong authentication credentials and risk-based evaluation tools for mobile environments. Features in CA Advanced Authentication that make security convenient and seamless to the user include:
• An SDK that embeds strong authentication into a mobile app. With the option of leveraging a PKI or one time password (OTP) software credential, security and user convenience is greatly streamlined and improved.
• A PKI credential to provide a seamless user experience. The user simply logs in with their usual password and behind the scenes the strong authentication is taking place.
• An OTP that can be generated by CA Technologies free mobile app, or it can be delivered in the form of text message, voice message or email.
"Customer convenience has become a key business advantage. The easier a transaction is, the happier the customer," said Vincenzo Pompa, CEO of PosteCom, the IT and eBusiness innovation company of Poste Italiane. "For convenience sake, it's important for Poste Italiane to offer mobile options to our customers for a variety of services, but we need to do it securely. Our collaboration with CA Technologies to engage our customers on their mobile devices and protect online transactions is important for innovating and growing our business."
In addition to the Identity and Access Management solutions announced today, CA Technologies also announced its CA Management Cloud for Mobility. Several of the IAM solutions announced today are included in that offering, enabling end-to-end mobile security and management from development through runtime and from the device to the data center.
CA Technologies is demonstrating its IAM portfolio at RSA Conference USA 2014 in booth 2709. In addition, representatives are speaking at the CSA Summit, and the company is hosting an API workshop.
Supporting Facts, Stats on the Open Enterprise
• The issue of mobile app creation and security is at the top of senior IT leaders' agendas. In a recent global study, more than one third of respondents acknowledged that security and privacy concerns around mobility are their number one challenges. At the same time, the study showed that 63% of respondents view mobile apps for customers or employees as their number one priority.***
• 451 Research "believes that a conservative estimate of the revenue generated by cloud vendors in 2012 was $5.7 billion, and the market will grow at a CAGR of 36% to reach $19.5 billion in 2016."****
• The number of APIs has grown to over 11,000, up from 9,000 as reported on April 30, 2013.
• Overall app use in 2013 posted 115% year-over-year growth (Flurry Analytics).
*Predictions 2014: Identity And Access Management, Forrester Research, Inc., January 7, 2014
**The Forrester Wave&trade: API Management Platforms, Q1 2013, Forrester Research, Inc., February 5, 2013
***Enterprise Mobility–It's All About the Apps, TechInsights, November 2013
****Cloud Computing Overview Report 2013, 451 Reserach, Yulitza Peraza and Greg Zwakman, August 2013
About CA Technologies
CA Technologies (NASDAQ: CA) provides IT management solutions that help customers manage and secure complex IT environments to support agile business services. Organizations leverage CA Technologies software and SaaS solutions to accelerate innovation, transform infrastructure and secure data and identities, from the data center to the cloud. Learn more about CA Technologies at www.ca.com.