Sophos Provides Solution For Vulnerability On Android Devices
Sophos Mobile Security gives Android users protection against USSD special codes
BOSTON, MA – October 16, 2012 – Sophos Mobile Security now protects against USSD special codes. With this update, the free Sophos Mobile Security app allows users to protect against the execution of special codes on their Android devices, preventing websites or applications from performing unwanted functions.
Special phone codes are dialed to initiate certain actions. For example, USSD codes in GSM networks allow a user/phone to send commands to the phone operator network, which will result in an answer sent back to the user/phone. Android offers a mechanism that allows any application or web browser to automatically dial special codes and execute functions. Hackers have exploited this mechanism to create functions that will reset the device to its factory settings or call expensive phone numbers, causing the user to lose all data or incur excessive bills.
More Security Insights
- Forrester Study: The Total Economic Impact of VMware View
- Securing Executives and Highly Sensitive Documents of Corporations Globally
- Top Big Data Security Tips and Ultimate Protection for Enterprise Data
- Client Windows Migration: Expert Tips for Application Readiness
To protect against this vulnerability, Sophos Mobile Security will:
· Register as the receiver for all special codes
· Prompt the user with a notification when a special code is accessed, giving the user control over the execution of the special code.
· For all normal telephone calls, the Sophos Mobile Security app will intercept the dialing process and let these numbers be dialed immediately
In addition to this new functionality, Sophos Mobile Security provides protection against malicious apps, protects data in case of loss and theft and guides users to have safe settings on the device. It can be downloaded for free from Google Play at: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sophos.smsec
For more information about mobile products from Sophos, please visit our website.
More than 100 million users in 150 countries rely on Sophos' complete security solutions as the best protection against complex threats and data loss. Simple to deploy, manage, and use, Sophos' award-winning encryption, endpoint security, web, email, mobile and network security solutions are backed by SophosLabs - a global network of threat intelligence centers.
Sophos is headquartered in Boston, US and Oxford, UK. More information is available at www.sophos.com.