Slide Show: 10 Tips And Best Practices For Becoming A Data Security Detective
Tips from security insiders on gathering and analyzing security intelligence and identifying new threats, as well as APT attacks
Until recently, IT security technicians spent much of their time managing passwords, access lists, and firewall configuration tables. Today, however, the role of the security pro has shifted radically toward threat analysis, forensic investigation, and incident response. The modern data security professional is increasingly asked to be skilled in roles such as first responder, malware researcher, log file analyst, and threat evaluator.
On October 20, 2011, InformationWeek and Dark Reading hosted an all-day virtual event, where experts offered detailed insight in how to collect security intelligence in the enterprise, and how to analyze and study it in order to efficiently identify new threats as well as low-and-slow attacks such as advanced persistent threats. Several best practices emerged from the event, including the following tips from security insiders.
Keynote speaker FBI Special Supervisory Agent (SSA) Melissa Horvath, from the Bureau’s Cyber Division, Cyber Criminal Unit 1, emphasized the importance of understanding how and why criminals perpetrate financial crimes, and explained the inner workings of financial fraud cases involving electronic money transfers.
Free Research and Reports
- Oracle ERP Cloud Service - Back-Office Solutions that Keep You in Front
- How Foglight Makes User Experience Management A Reality: Three Case Studies
- IAM for the Real World - Privileged Account Management
- Unchain your Network with Application Intelligence and Control
- The Active Directory Management and Security You've Always Dreamed of
- Keynote Speaker: Michelle McKenna-Doyle, CIO, NFL - InformationWeek Conference
- Enterprise Connect: Communications Transforming Business. Register Now for Best Rates. - Enterprise Connect
- Crash Course in Open Source Cloud Computing - Interop Las Vegas
- Check out the Applications Track at Interop Las Vegas, March 31-April 4, 2014 - Interop Las Vegas
- The Secret to Creating a Killer Employee App Store - Interop Las Vegas