Trend Micro Unveils Free MacClean Tool
MacClean is a free clean-up solution designed for Apple fans that may be infected by the Morcut malware
CUPERTINO, Calif., Aug. 9, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Following the recent discovery of a new piece of malware known as Crisis or Morcut, there is now good news from Trend Micro for Mac users worried about infections of this kind.
Launched today, MacClean is a free clean-up solution designed for Apple fans that may be infected by the Morcut malware. Once downloaded, this easy-to-use tool scans your Mac and alerts you to any infections found. On discovery of an infection, MacClean prompts you to remove the malware and notifies you once the clean-up has been successful. Easy!
More Security Insights
- Integration with Oracle Fusion Financials Cloud Service
- Four Ways to Modernize Your Application Performance Monitoring Strategy for Web 2.0 and AJAX
- Solving Big Data Challenges with Simplicity & Speed
- Optimize Your SQL Environment for Performance & Flexibility
This particular type of malware affecting Snow Leopard and Lion users typically installs secretly on Macs and stays on the machines until it's removed. Once installed, it runs certain commands that it receives remotely from a malicious user. Doing this puts affected Macs and information found on the Macs at great risk.
MacClean offers Mac users the peace of mind they need to enjoy their Mac without having to worry about compromising their security. New pieces of malware entering the Mac world like Morcut serve as another warning that Mac users need to be more vigilant than ever before.
So, what can you do to protect your Mac? Here are some simple tips:
1. Always keep up-to-date with patches and updates. 2. Apple's built-in security software is very basic. Checking for known malicious files alone will not protect you from the more sophisticated threats like Morcut. Go with a third party security app which can block threats dynamically before they reach your Mac. 3. Be alert. It sounds obvious but don't believe the hype and think that having a Mac makes you impervious to attacks. As we've seen more and more recently, the bad guys are targeting Mac users. Don't be caught without security. Download from: www.trendmicro.com/maccleantool
More about OSX_Morcut:
About Trend Micro Trend Micro Incorporated (TYO: 4704;TSE: 4704), a global cloud security leader, creates a world safe for exchanging digital information with its Internet content security and threat management solutions for businesses and consumers. A pioneer in server security with over 20 years' experience, we deliver top-ranked client, server and cloud-based security that fits our customers' and partners' needs, stops new threats faster, and protects data in physical, virtualized and cloud environments. Powered by the industry-leading Trend Micro(TM) Smart Protection Network(TM) cloud computing security infrastructure, our products and services stop threats where they emerge - from the Internet. They are supported by 1,000+ threat intelligence experts around the globe.