McAfee Finds One In Every Six Personal Computers Have Zero Protection
Vulnerability poses a threat not just to those unprotected computers, but to anyone connected to them
Lack of consumer PC protection is a global problem. McAfee, the world’s largest dedicated security technology company, today reveals shocking findings from a globalstudy set out to determine the percentage of personal computer owners without any working protection. In a study that analyzed data from voluntary scans from an average of 27-28 million computers per month, McAfee researchers found 17% of the world is browsing the internet completely unprotected.1 Out of the 24 participating countries, the United States landed in the top 5 least protected.
More Security Insights
- Forrester Study: The Total Economic Impact of VMware View
- Securing Executives and Highly Sensitive Documents of Corporations Globally
- Top Big Data Security Tips and Ultimate Protection for Enterprise Data
- How to Improve Customer Analytics: Best Practices
Browsing the internet on an exposed computer not only increases the risk of identity theft and data loss, but it can contribute to the spread of harmful programs and nasty viruses. Even if you think your personal computer has basic protection installed, it is important to make sure your security software stays up-to-date. Research also found many of the scanned computers have disabled or expired software. Within the United States alone, 19.32% of consumers are unprotected.
· 83% of global PC owners have working basic security protection2
· 17% of PCs scanned had no anti-virus software installed or it was expired
· Finland came out on top as the most protected, with only 9.7% of PCs lacking any security protection
· Singapore came out on bottom with 21.75% of consumer PCs completely unprotected
· The United States is the 5th least protected country, with 19.32% of Americans browsing the Internet without any protection - 12.25% of consumers have zero security protection installed; 7.07% have security software installed but disabled
· Spain had the highest percentage of PCs without any installed basic security protection at 16.33%
· Singapore had the highest percentage of users, 11.75%, with installed, but disabled, security protection
· Consumers globally say 27% of their digital files would be “impossible to restore” at all if lost, and not backed up properly, and had an average value of $10,014 US.
“The freedom to browse the internet comes with the added risk of unwanted exposure, and cybercriminals are preying on unsuspecting victims,” says Steve Petracca, SVP and GM of consumer, small business and mobile at McAfee. “With the increasing number of global cyber-attacks affecting consumers, it is critical that the 17% of consumers that are unprotected update their virus protection before it’s too late.”
Available Product Solutions:
McAfee AntiVirus Plus instantly detects and blocks computer viruses and helps to stop web threats before they are downloaded to a consumer’s PC. This suite includes anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-phishing, identity and firewall protection, as well as PC optimization tools. The suggested retail price for McAfee AntiVirus Plus is $49.99 US.
McAfee makes it easier than ever for consumers to protect all of their devices with award-winning McAfee All Access, which protects all of a consumer’s digital devices for $99.99 US. McAfee All Access is a single solution that protects consumers’ PCs, Macs, smartphones, and tablets from a variety of threats--wherever they connect. Consumers stay safe when they shop and surf on the net, visit social networks, click on online images, or use their email—no matter what device they’re using.
1 PCs scanned either had no anti-virus installed or the software was installed, but disabled. 2 Basic security protection is defined as working anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall technologies.
Note: Due to rounding, country data may show a variance of +1%.
McAfee, a wholly owned subsidiary of Intel Corporation (NASDAQ:INTC), is the world's largest dedicated security technology company. McAfee delivers proactive and proven solutions and services that help secure systems, networks, and mobile devices around the world, allowing users to safely connect to the Internet, browse and shop the Web more securely. Backed by its unrivaled Global Threat Intelligence, McAfee creates innovative products that empower home users, businesses, the public sector and service providers by enabling them to prove compliance with regulations, protect data, prevent disruptions, identify vulnerabilities, and continuously monitor and improve their security. McAfee is relentlessly focused on constantly finding new ways to keep our customers safe. http://www.mcafee.com
NOTE: McAfee and Safe Eyes are trademarks or registered trademarks of McAfee or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries. Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
About Survey McAfee analyzed security scans voluntarily submitted by consumers globally using a free diagnostic tool for PCs called McAfee Security Scan Plus. It works with most security software programs and actively checks a consumer’s computer for threats, anti-virus software and firewall protection. It is for Windows operating systems only. Between 27 – 28 million scans took place each month globally. No personal information was collected as part of these scans.