Barracuda Tackles Botnets With Updated Web Application FirewallWeb Application Firewall, version 7.8, aimed at reducing impact of automated attack attempts from botnets
Campbell, Calif. (May 15, 2013) – Barracuda Networks, Inc., a leading provider of security and storage solutions, today announced the latest Barracuda Web Application Firewall, version 7.8, specifically aimed at reducing the impact of automated attack attempts from botnets.
Automated botnet attacks recently have gained notoriety for targeting major banks and web platforms like WordPress. While the overall number of attacks has stayed consistent, the dramatic increase in the ferocity and duration of these attacks demonstrates the need to deploy advanced protection.
Barracuda Web Application Firewall provides advanced DDoS protection that spans the network and application layer. It has the ability to control traffic based on geographic regions, IP addresses, and client types, allowing administrators to throttle or block malicious requests. With the new version, Barracuda has added several significant new capabilities designed to secure applications against advanced DDoS attacks:
· Enhanced Botnet Identification through Barracuda IP Reputation – With hundreds of thousands of security devices spanning all major security vectors including network, web, and email traffic, Barracuda IP Reputation provides an extensive categorization of infected computers, zombies, and/or botnets. The integration of Barracuda IP Reputation with Barracuda Web Application Firewall enables administrators to identify and thwart botnets attempting DDoS attacks.
· Automated CAPTCHA Challenges – Barracuda Web Application Firewall can automatically insert CAPTCHA challenges to suspicious clients without requiring any changes to the application.
"Securing applications against automated attacks can be tedious when done manually," said Steve Pao, GM Security at Barracuda Networks. "With the Barracuda Web Application Firewall, protections can be implemented operationally without coding changes, avoiding the costs and risks often associated with those types of changes."
In addition to these advanced security capabilities, a number of management and performance enhancements have been added to the firmware release, including:
· Increased throughput up to 4Gbps on Barracuda Web Application Firewall models 960 and higher on the current hardware platform
· Integration with the Kerberos security protocol for single sign-on across disparate backend Web services
· Support for Certificate Revocation Lists (CRLs) for enhanced SSL certificate management.
Availability and Pricing:
Barracuda Web Application Firewall version 7.8 is available immediately at no additional charge to existing customers on the current hardware platform with an active Energize Update subscription or with an active virtual appliance license. Barracuda Web Application Firewall pricing in North America ranges from US$4,999 to US$61,599 depending on model, with no per user fees. International pricing and availability varies based on region. For more information, please visit www.barracuda.com/waf.
Blog Post – http://bit.ly/barracudawaf78
About the Barracuda Web Application Firewall
The Barracuda Web Application Firewall blocks an ever-expanding list of sophisticated web-based intrusions and attacks that target applications hosted on web servers and in the cloud. The Barracuda Web Application Firewall scans all inbound web traffic to block attacks and scans all outbound traffic to provide highly effective Data Loss Prevention (DLP). It's available as a physical or virtual appliance and is deployed in front of the web application servers. To learn more about the Barracuda Web Application Firewall, please visit www.barracuda.com/waf.
About Barracuda Networks, Inc.
Protecting users, applications, and data for more than 150,000 organizations worldwide, Barracuda Networks has developed a global reputation as the go-to leader for powerful, easy-to-use, affordable IT solutions. The company's proven customer-centric business model focuses on delivering high-value, subscription-based IT solutions for security and storage. For additional information, please visit www.barracuda.com or follow us on Twitter: @barracuda.